Interim Executive Director - Maternity Leave, Term Position
NWT Recreation and Parks Association (NWTRPA)
Type of Job
Maternity Leave, Term Position
June 20, 2023 at 10:00:00 p.m.
Forward a resume and cover letter along with three references by Friday June 11, 2021, at 4:00 PM to: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the job
The NWTRPA is seeking an exceptional leader to fill the Executive Director (ED) maternity leave term position at the NWTRPA. The successful candidate will be a person who possesses and demonstrates the following attributes: leadership, strategic thinking, problem solving, sound decision making, sector awareness, financial management, openness and accountability, and strong communications skills.
The Executive Director is responsible for delivering the strategic priorities of the organization as set by the NWTRPA Board of Directors. While reporting to the Board of Directors via the President, the Executive Director acts as senior advisor to the NWTRPA Board and reports to the board and external agencies as required.
The ED’s leadership sets the tone for the day-to-day operations of the NWTRPA. The ED is responsible for directing and developing the organization’s staff and contractors through guidance, training, and encouragement.
The ED is responsible for the overall operations of the NWTRPA annual budget, which is approximately $1,300,000 including staffing, programs, and administration. This includes submitting proposals for short term and multi-year funding cycles to ensure the long term financial stability of the NWTRPA.
The ED is responsible for the management of staff, including hiring, terminating, evaluating and planning consistent with organizational parameters.
The ED is also the primary liaison between communities, governments and organizations. The ED develops partnerships, and advocates on behalf of the NWTRPA.
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Relevant undergraduate degree in business administration, recreation administration, leadership, communication, finance, management or a related field.
· Master’s degree would be considered an asset.
· At least two years of senior management/executive experience, leading a division or organization.
· Exceptional interpersonal skills, and excellence in financial and operational management.
· Experience leading a professional association is preferred.
· Demonstrated ability to lead and mentor staff.
Strong Management and Problem-Solving Skills:
· Demonstrated ability to promote teamwork, collaboration, and partnership.
· A track record of continuous learning, innovation, and creative thinking.
· A solution seeker who can deal effectively with ambiguity and uncertainty.
· Resolves problems quickly and effectively, determining appropriate courses of action.
Excellent Interpersonal and Proven Communications Skills:
· Has demonstrated excellence in developing, leading, and managing numerous collaborative relationships.
· Innovative and independent thinker. Comfortable working with government officials, volunteer committees, businesses, and similar organizations in the NWT.
· Can easily and efficiently communicate ideas and messages. Equally skilled at strategic listening.
· Good understanding of the political processes, policies, and political environment in the NWT as well as NWT history and culture.
· Knowledge of the recreation and parks sector in the NWT will be a strong asset.
· A sense of humour.
The NWTRPA is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive team and providing equitable opportunities in our recruitment processes. Individuals with life experience and knowledge of current practices in Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion are encouraged to apply. The NWTRPA is particularly interested in considering applications from Indigenous, Black, Asian, Latinx, 2SLGBTQ1PA+ communities, people with disabilities, or people who hold otherwise traditionally marginalized
identities to reflect the communities we serve.
A description of the Executive Director Role can be obtained from Sheena Tremblay, Executive Director.
Yellowknife, NT, Canada