Here are some questions you might have about Walk to Tuk.
- One hour of walking equals 5km for teams of 10 and under
- One hour of walking equals 4km for teams of 11 – 20 members
Here are a few guidelines that we hope will help you determine what activity counts and what does not. Activity must be:
- In bouts of at least 15 continuous minutes – This means that five minutes of walking, here and there, throughout the day does not count.
- Moderate to vigorous intensity aerobic physical activity – This means the activity may cause you to sweat and be ‘out of breath’. Your heart rate should increase when exercising.
Here are examples of activities that CAN count towards Walk to Tuk:
- Cross-country skiing
- Snow Shoeing
- Lane Swimming
Examples of activities* that CANNOT be counted towards Walk to Tuk:
- Weight Lifting
For more information, you can head here.
Team Captains submit their team total walking time every two weeks on the following dates:
- January 14, 2019
- January 28, 2019
- February 11, 2019
- March 1, 2019
The website will be updated by the following Tuesday after the team captain has submitted their times.
Yes! Visit the Resources and Tips page and click on the Walking Log to download a spreadsheet that automatically adds up your weekly walking totals and indicates what to send to your team captain.
For team captains, click on the Tracking log for an easy way to keep track of your entire team’s walking times.
Unfortunately, no. Each person can only participate on one team.
- A community team is made up of family, friends, neighbors or any members of the community.
- A corporate team is a workplace team made up of coworkers.
- A school – faculty team is made up of staff from a school.
- A school – class team is made up of students of a class. Class teams are the only team type permitted to have more than 20 participants to allow for the entire class to participate.
There sure is!
Only 20 people can participate per team except if the team is a class team.
- Split your team into two teams.
- Check the website to see if there are other teams from your community that people could join.
No. Only time in hours or minutes spent exercising can be submitted by team captains.
Kilometres must be converted into hours or minutes before your team captain submits team times online.
To calculate hours from KMs do the following:
- For a team with 10 or less team members, your kilometers are dived by four.
- Example: If you run 10km, you can submit 2.5 hours of time for that run (10 divided by 4 = 2.5). Even if it only took you 25 minutes to run 10km, because you are the new official world record holder, you still get 2.5 hours’ worth of Walk to Tuk time!
- For a team with 11 – 20 members , your kilometers are dived by five.
- Example: If you run 10km, you can submit 2 hours of time for that run (10 divided by 5 = 2).
A team can register from anywhere in the world! However only teams in the NWT will be eligible for prizes.
Yes. Family or friends who no longer live in the NWT can join a team based in the NWT. However, people who live outside of the NWT are not eligible to win the First Air flight pass.