15 Great Reasons to Participate in Walk to Tuk
Have you heard that Walk to Tuk is a fun way to stay active during the winter, but need a little more convincing before you take the dive?
Here are 15 great reasons that you should participate in Walk to Tuk:
- It is a fun, free activity open to anyone.
- It will help you stay active when you need it most, during the coldest and darkest months of the year. Participants provide social support and encouragement to their team members to get and stay active.
- It is a team activity that encourages all participants, from the youngest to the oldest, to work together towards a common goal.
- It is easy to track your team’s progress along the river.
- There are prizes for individuals, teams, and team captains, both at the end of the challenge and each week!
- Team captains are provided with lots of support throughout the entire challenge, including access to tracking sheets, activity ideas, and recruitment posters.
- Teams get to choose their own fun team name.
- It is accessible. You don’t need any special equipment. Just a good footwear and some warm clothes.
- It is flexible. You can count any activity done in bouts 15 minutes that is continuous and vigorous intensity toward your weekly totals. This includes walking, running, swimming, biking, or cross country skiing.
- It promotes community cohesion and resiliency.
- It fosters community engagement and strengthens relationships.
- It promotes wellness. Walking has lots of physical and mental health benefits including better focus, lower blood pressure and stress levels, and improved heart and lung health.
- Walking is great for kids as well! It can improve their concentration, supports their cognitive development, and gets them outside in the fresh air.
- It has the potential to increase territory-wide physical activity levels, which could result in improved health outcomes for residents of the NWT.
- It is a great way to experience the beautiful outdoor trails and places in your community.