June is Recreation and Parks Month—Let’s Celebrate!
This June, in celebration of June is Recreation and Parks Month (JRPM) and Senior Citizens’ Month, we’re teaming up with the NWT Seniors’ Society to host a multi-generational photo contest! You could be the lucky winner of a prize pack with some must-have summer recreation items and swag!
How do you enter? It’s easy!
- Get outside and do something you enjoy with people of all ages!* Recreation is all around us.
- Snap a photo of your intergenerational hangout.
- Submit your photo on social media or by e-mail! Make sure to use #JRPMNWT and tag @nwtrpa when posting on social media; e-mail email@example.com.
- Follow us on follow us on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, or check out our monthly e-newsletter to find out if you’re the lucky winner!
* Please take care to adhere to all GNWT Public Health Office orders when celebrating JRPM. For the latest public health orders, click here.
Recreation and parks offer many benefits to community-members of all ages. From improving mood and resilience, to boosting physical health and fitness, they strengthen our relationships and create connection in a way that is particularly important this year.
“Past crises have proven that parks and recreation are one of the first and most crucial services to return to communities. Parks and recreation play a critical role in the mental and physical health recovery of citizens and play an equally important role in community economic revival. Access to recreation facilities and programs is a fundamental service for Canadians that will usher in a return of normalcy after COVID-19 — especially for children and seniors.”— Canadian Recreation and Parks Association
The NWTRPA believes recreation comes in many forms and we’d like to see what you’re getting up to this June is Recreation and Parks Month. NWTSS recognizes June as a month to celebrate all the contributions that seniors and Elders make to our families and our communities.
How will you celebrate? Share a photo of your friends, your family, or your community engaging in recreation and parks activities that include all ages and you will be entered to win!
Just remember to follow all GNWT public health directives for gatherings and events, and getting out on the land. If you’re looking for safe ways to connect with Elders and older adults during COVID-19, check out this resource.
Photos can be submitted on social media during the month of June by using #JRPMNWT and tagging @nwtrpa, or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 30, 2020.
For Official Contest Rules, click here.