Collaborating for Inclusion of Older Adults
We know that many older adults are vulnerable and experience social isolation. A person is vulnerable when others may easily hurt or influence them physically, emotionally, or mentally. Social isolation means a person has few contacts in their community; they have limited or no social roles that they find meaningful.
The NWT Seniors’ Society is hosting a four-year project for adults 55 years and older. The aim is to increase contact, activities, and social interaction among seniors and Elders by building connections through activities and community engagement in 10 NWT communities.
Call out for project applications!!
The project will fund 10 programs in 10 NWT communities for four years. This is a call for applications to participate in this project.
Funding can pay for a part-time community facilitator, transportation cost for seniors and Elders to attend events, and the cost of the program selected for the project. Community facilitators will receive a 3-day training and ongoing support throughout the project from the project coordinator.
While the focus of the project is to make meaningful connections with smaller, under-resourced communities we encourage regional centres to also apply.
About the project
- Target vulnerable and socially isolated adults 55 years or older.
- Remove barriers that prevent older adults from participating in their community.
- Help older adults develop a sense of purpose, place, and social integration.
- Provide locally based, culturally relevant activities that support the needs and wishes that older adults identify.
- Provide meaningful activities for a wide variety of skills and abilities. Improve community capacity, resources, knowledge, and ability to build better relationships among older adults and the community at large.
Application Deadline: April 17, 2020
The Government of Canada, New Horizons for Seniors Program is funding this project.
For more information on the project, please contact:
Kassandra Spoelder, Project Coordinator
NWT Seniors’ Society
102-4916 46th Street
Phone: 867-920-7444 Fax: 867-920-7601