Get Active funds community events that get people more physically active in the NWT. Community organizations are encouraged to apply for $750 or $1000 to organize and deliver three community-oriented physical activity events.
To apply, fill out the online application. You must also watch the Get Active video at the top of this page for your application to be considered.
Funds are limited! Applications will be approved on a first come – first serve basis.
The application deadline is October 6, 2016.
The following conditions must be met in order to receive Get Active funding:
- A community organization will plan, organize and host three community-oriented physical events;
- All three events must be free for participants;
- All three events must be open to the public;
- Applications must fit one of the two event categories (see details below);
- The three events must occur between October 1, 2016 – March 23, 2017; and
- A final online report must be completed by March 23, 2017 (a template will be provided)
Grants will be awarded in two categories:
- Three community-oriented physical activity events – $750
Example: Dene games, Nordic walking, sliding, snowshoeing, a cross-country ski loppet, community Olympics, or winter golf
- Three Elders Events – $1,000
Example: Elders Yoga, Wii and Tea, Elders jigging party, or walking bingo.
Each grant will be awarded in two parts. When an application is approved, half the grant ($375 or $500) will be sent to the organization. After you submit your final report for your three events, you will receive the remaining half of the grant.
You can use the grant for costs related to the event such as:
- Purchasing or renting equipment
- Event promotion and advertising
- Rental space or venue fees
- Paying an instructor
- Healthy snacks
All approved organizations will also receive a Get Active prize pack to use at their own discretion.
- Application period is September 1 – October 6, 2016
- All activities must take place before March 23, 2017
- All final reports are due March 23, 2017