Get Active funds community events that get people more physically active in the NWT. Community organizations are encouraged to apply for $750, $850, or $1000 to organize and deliver community-oriented physical activity events.
Applications for the 2018 period have closed! In 2019, you will be able to fill out the online application here. Applications will re-open in the fall of 2019.
You must watch the Get Active video at the top of this page for your application to be considered.
Applications for the 2018 period have closed! The deadline for applications in 2019 will be mid-October.
Funds are limited. Applications will be approved on a first come, first serve basis.
The following conditions must be met in order to receive Get Active funding:
- An NWT community organization will plan and organize community-oriented physically active events (see details below);
- Applications must fit within one of the three grant categories (see details below);
- All events must be free for participants;
- All events must be open to the public;
- Participants must attend the events;
- The events must occur between the specified dates (October 1, 2018 – March 15, 2019);
- A final electronic report must be submitted by March 15, 2019; and
- Swim to Survive® events must include Swim to Survive® instructions, take place at a Regional Aquatics Training Centre (Inuvik, Yellowknife, Fort Smith, and Hay River), and be taught by a certified instructor.
Grants will be awarded in three categories:
- Three community-oriented physical activity events – $750
Example: Dene games, Nordic walking, sliding, snowshoeing, a cross-country ski loppet, community Olympics, or winter golf.
- Three Elders events – $1,000
Example: Elders Yoga, Wii and Tea, Elders jigging party, or walking bingo.
- One Swim to Survive® event at a Regional Aquatics Training Centre – $850
Participant will learn the basic skills needed to survive a fall into deep water taught by a certified Swim to Survive® Instructor. Example: Moose Kerr School Swim to Survive® event held at the Inuvik Aquatics Centre.
Each grant will be awarded in two parts. When an application is approved, half the grant will be sent to the organization. After all events take place and you submit your final report for your events, you will receive the remaining half of the grant.
You can use the grant for costs related to the events such as:
- Purchasing or renting equipment
- Event promotion and advertising
- Rental space or venue fees
- Paying an instructor
- Healthy snacks
- Travel to a Regional Aquatics Training Centre (for Swim to Survive® events)
All approved organizations will receive a Get Active prize pack to use at their events.
Prize items may be used for participant giveaways, volunteer gifts, or as draw prizes.