How to become a certified fitness leader:
1) Contact the NWTRPA if you are looking to attend or host an Exercise Theory Course in your community.
2) Complete the AFLCA Exercise Theory Course and Exam
*You have one year to complete the certification process from your initial Exercise Theory exam date.
3) Participate in one AFLCA Specialization Course and exam
- Group Exercise: Choreography, Cycle, Step, Portable Equipment, Mind-Body;
- Aquatic Exercise;
- Resistance Training; or
- Fitness for the Older Adult.
4) Complete a practical assessment overseen by an AFLCA trainer. In order to help with this step the NWTRPA may be able to help organize assessments with a certified trainer. Alternatively participants must send a video of their session to the trainer for assessment.
5) Obtain current CPR Level C training.
*The NWTRPA may be able to help facilitate a CPR training course.
6) Submit Certification Documents to AFLCA:
- Group Exercise Certification Checklist
- Resistance Training Certification Checklist
- Aquatic Fitness Certification Checklist
- Fitness for the Older Adult Certification Checklist
- Certified Fitness Trainer Certification Checklist
- CPR(CPR-Level A minimum for AFLCA Leaders, CPR Level C – minimum for CFTs) CPR MUST BE RENEWED ANNUALLY! Online CPR training is NOT
*There may be options to challenge exams if eligible
Click here to see the AFLCA Group Exercise Leader Leader Scope of Practice